Friday, February 1, 2008

Thing 2 -- What Is Library 2.0?

While I have at least some theoretical knowledge of the concept of Library 2.0, I have not taken the time to more extensively explore many of the technologies. I found the linked resources (the interview of Stephen Abram; the Blyberg blog; and the articles in Library Technology Reports, OCLC's Next Space Newsletter, and Wikipedia) useful summaries and explorations of the whole idea.

I found myself agreeing with Stephen Abrams that people can generally find the time for pretty much anything they put as a priority. I suspect I'll find myself taking my time to explore the 23 things from something else I usually make time for: reading. (Yesterday I bit the bullet and returned to the library a couple of books I probably just won't have the time to read in the next couple of weeks....I'll just have to read them later!)

Points from the reading/viewing which particularly resonated with me:
  • We learn through a combination of experience and reflection (Stephen Abram interview).
  • A big feature of Library 2.0 is allowing our users to opt in, to provide both physical and online space for library patrons to participate and create content ("The Ongoing Web Revolution").
  • Technologies still should be evaluated to determine if they provide a useful service for patrons (and presumably, patrons should be involved in that determination) ("Into a New World of Librarianship")
  • Collaboration between libraries contributes to the success of Library 2.0 as well (Blyberg Blog).

I differed with Rick Anderson's skepticism of the usefulness of physical collections; I think there are still those who enjoy browsing a physical as well as a virtual collection. (I've often had the experience of visiting libraries and finding something I didn't know I wanted--simply because it WAS there; patrons have made similar comments.)

Re: what I am looking forward to or why I am participating in the 23 things project: I am looking forward to taking the time and opportunity to learn more about the technologies that are included in this program--and to finding ways to usefully apply them in my library.

No comments: